Etiquette's Last Real Maven

I was sitting by candlelight this week as gracious neighbors opened their home to me during the hurricane.  While we were waiting for dinner to warm on the three circuits powered by generator we sat around, counted our blessings, drank and caught up on our newspaper reading.  Not having multiple news feeds at my fingertips I almost missed the passing of Leitita Baldrige who died last week in Maryland at 86.  Ms. Baldrige was the top of the heap as far as etiquette mavens go.  I was the only one in middle school that wanted to be her when I grew up or even knew of her for that matter.  Those of us that did know who she was are quick to dispel the dull, pinky in the air, tea sipping image that you might associate with someone who is known for writing 20 books over her career.   Ms. Baldrige advised ambassadors to two countries, was the first female executive at Tiffany & Co., spent two years in the C.I.A specializing in psychological warfare, became First Lady Jacqueline Kennedy's social secretary and then her chief of staff.  A career like this all when women weren't that present in the workforce.  She became more of a household name when after her resignation from the White House she began writing newspaper and magazine columns on etiquette.  She'll be missed.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...