Networking Etiquette



Well I wrote my first newspaper article a couple of weeks ago and the editor didn't rip it apart which is a good sign.  He did change the title and made a few additions.   It came out when I was on vacation so I'm a little late in posting.

Reprinted from the March 30, 2016, issue of U.S. 1 Newspaper
Networking Etiquette From a Pro
by Mary Harris
Of all of the topics that I weave into my etiquette presentations, business networking is one that I always make sure to spend a few minutes on no matter what the overall theme of the training is. Avoiding potentially embarrassing slip-ups early in a professional relationship will help leave a favorable first impression.

Navigating the waters of networking events can be challenging. A sea of people lie in front of you, so having a plan for what you want to accomplish before you arrive is important. Your goal may be to quickly meet as many people as possible, or you may only want to meet the keynote speaker. Either way, it’s good to know that in advance so you can stay focused.

When first greeting someone, be sure to give a firm but not crushing handshake. Make eye contact, smile, and state your name slowly. If you have found that people often have trouble recalling your name or you just want to be more memorable, you can give a small piece of information about yourself or provide another easy way to remember you. I just met a woman who introduced herself as Reagan (like Ronald) Haines.

She gave me a quick and easy way to remember her. The next time we meet there is a better chance I’ll recall her name. If you meet someone with a name that is difficult for you to understand it is OK to ask them to repeat their name or to ask them to speak slowly. But do not dismiss them by saying that their name is too difficult to understand or that you’ll never remember it. 
Click to read the entire article.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...