Vintage Brides Wedding Etiquette, 1961


Flipping through my vintage etiquette books and found a surprise tucked inside. I don’t know how I never saw this original press release from Grosset & Dunlap from 1961 announcing the publication of The Brides Book of Etiquette by the editors of Brides magazine. I was reading through the book for lost traditions and my favorite might have been the pages about displaying the wedding presents. Gifts used to be sent to the bride’s home, opened and displayed in the dining room. I remember early in my career I planned a wedding in Charleston, SC and the mother of the bride hired someone to stay at the house while the reception took place at another location. I thought it was odd then but learned this practice was because the wedding was announced in the paper, thieves would know that all of the family members were out celebrating and the house and potentially loads of wedding gifts would be unattended. #mannersmonday
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...